Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sweet Jiminy, A Book Review


I recently read Sweet Jiminy, a book about a young woman named Jiminy who ran away to her grandmother's house in Mississippi after a hard time in college. While she had not grown up there, she had spent some time there, and found it to be a place she could go to "find herself". In the book we follow Jiminy as she learns some things about the people she knows, and we end up on the case of a long ago murder. The book deals with issues of hatred and race in a way that makes the reader feel as though they are there and experiencing the same issues themselves.

I have never personally experienced any sort of racial tension, even with a very rural upbringing, and found this book helped me to see the issues of people of different races in other parts of the country. I really enjoyed the book, even though it was sad at times. It also has a story of mystery that is both engaging and entertaining. I would recommend this book as a good read, though it isn't exactly light reading.

Will be released April 26th.

I received an electronic copy of this book to review from the publishers Hyperion via netgalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment