Monday, March 30, 2009

Now what?(Recycling)

Since I posted about the last day of recycling on Saturday, I thought I would write about how terrible it is to not have an opportunity to recycle anymore. Burns is a small community distanced from major towns by quite a distance. We have had a volunteer recycle program for many years, then recently we had a commercial recycle place take over. This made the volunteer program unnecessary so we were left in the hands of the large commercial venture. I loved the program. They would take your stuff and sort it for you. They were open 6 days a week. Then the unthinkable happened. The stuff isn’t worth anything anymore. Now they are no longer in business and our community is left with no recycling at all. I consider myself a “green” person. I recycle. I have even trained my family to separate the recyclable stuff from the easier to dispose of trash. Now what am I to do? I feel like it is not an option to throw the stuff away. I think that our local government should provide that service. Perhaps they need to subsidize the recycle business, hiring him as a contractor so he can provide this service. What I don’t think is right is that we don’t have any option to recycle now. How can such an important issue be without solution in this day and age? And what do I do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment