Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Birds and the Frogs

I recently received three children's book to review from a publisher. The first book I read with my children was "The Birds and the Frogs" by Brian D. McClure. At first I anticipated a children's book like most others, one that had a simple story with colorful pictures. This book does have beautiful illustrations. But rather than a simple story, it had a lesson.

The book was about a frog and a bird. The bird began the story by telling the frog that he was less important and less intelligent than the bird because birds can fly and frogs cannot. This continued until all birds thought that about all frogs.

When I first read the book, I was slightly surprised at the content. It is pretty interesting to me because the lesson it teaches is deeper than the standard sharing content most children's books possess. I enjoyed the book and will read it to my children on more than just this one occasion. A word of caution, it might not be for everyone in that it is not typical easy children's material. I find it to be a great opening conversation with kids that are older than 5, as younger kids may not grasp the concepts introduced in the book.

Rating- A-

No comments:

Post a Comment