Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cinnamon rolls

Wow, looks like it has been awhile since I posted! Well the most exciting news I have is that I made a first attempt at homemade cinnamon rolls, and they turned out super! I will never again buy one of those prepackaged refrigerated dough rolls from the store!

On that note, isn't it interesting how people have become so busy that they buy everything pre made and ready to go. I used to work at a grocery store, and I was so surprised at how much product they would throw away on a daily basis. Not only is all that food going to waste, but all the resources that went into making and packaging and delivering that product to the store were wasted. I think that we have a serious problem in this country in that we want everything done for us. We want to be able to come home from working all day and have something ready to pop into the microwave and eat it mere minutes later. And so as time goes by, we are conditioned to think that the stuff that we buy pre-made is actually food. But let me tell you something people, it is not. I am constantly amazed every time I make something from scratch at home. I cannot believe how different, and how DELICIOUS it tastes when I make it myself. My husband has recently been in charge of making all the bread we eat in our house, and it is far superior to the prepackaged "fluffy white bread" that we would otherwise buy at the store. How is it that we have become so obsessed with convenience? It doesn't take that much effort to fix a delicious meal from scratch. My family has slowly been changing from a family that would eat ramon noodles weekly (Josh and I in the Army) to nearly everyday home cooked meals. On the laziest of days we will order a pizza, but let me tell you something, my homemade pizza will rock that delivery pizza any day!! And it is cheaper! Sis, I know you are the only reader I have, and so I am preaching to the choir. But boy howdy, I think I finally get it!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm eating Cap'n Crunch now, so I'm guilty.

    Oh.. and Jared reads your blog!

    ReplyDelete