Friday, April 24, 2009

Sadness

I usually write about how nice the weather is and how much I want to be outside doing something. That really is still the case, and I sincerely hope that come late summer I will be posting about my wonderful tomatoes and such. But for today I want to talk about something else. I want to talk about sadness. Some things just make me sad. This morning I was puttering around the house doing small chores like laundry and such, and I glanced at my ever growing pile of recyclables. I have gotten my family trained to separate those items that recycle from the trash and now we are having a hard time throwing them away. I personally have noticed an increase in our trash by not recycling, and I think it is double the amount of trash now. This makes me sad. I don't want to throw these things in the garbage. I don't want to contribute to the filling of our landfill. So what are my options? The same landfill that takes our garbage offer LIMITED recycling. They don't take plastic or glass. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! There was another article in the newpaper about the troubles of the recycle place. The city wants to talk about their rent now because they had made a deal offering them the use of the place for no rent last year. Now they want their money again. I feel as though the city is OBLIGATED to the citizens to offer recycling. It might not be the case, but I think that it should be!

So what am I going to do now? I guess I hope to start reducing my own intake of these items. I don't want to be a bigger part of the problem. I want to start canning my own foods to use glass jars that I can use over and over. And I also use reusable grocery bags. I just hope that the recycle place is able to open again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment