Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Food and stuff

I am such a huge fan of people's food blogs. I can't get enough recipes and ideas from various food blogs. So it seems unfair that I don't really post my own food adventures. First of all, let me tell you what a wonderful cook my husband is. Since I have been working full time, Josh has become chief cook along with his already designated bottle washer job. I think that we have slightly different cooking styles. I will slather everything in butter or a sauce, but Josh does such a wonderful job of cooking things without the excess. I really appreciate everything he does at home.

Let me outline his wonderful cooking by describing last night's dinner. He came up with the idea to have a shrimp filled pastry pocket, and they were delicious. It had shrimp, bell peppers, onions bread crumbs and avocado (and probably numerous other tasties that I haven't mentioned). All this was wrapped in a pastry puff shell and baked. So good!! For desert we had fruit cups with strawberry and blueberry and white chocolate in a ramakin with a puff pastry top. Them puppies were so good!!! Once again, Josh is a gourmet chef in my eyes!!!

One other culinary adventure was the purchase of a food dehydrator. I wanted to make jerky and so last week I conned Josh into getting one. I had high hopes for the jerky. I started with some bananas and apples just to "get my feet wet". I am not sure what happened there, but it took FOREVER for them to dry. So I was a little apprehensive about trying the jerky. It had marinated in the Good Eats recipe for about 2 days (longer than recommended) so I figured that we had better get to processing that batch. The jerky dried in about 5 hours, so 2 days shorter than the fruit. That stuff is like crack. I can't get enough. Note to the blogging world, make your own jerky, it is worth it!

2 comments:

  1. I SO want to make jerky. What cut of meat did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a beef round roast. It had the least amount of fat. Super good, totally recommend it!

    ReplyDelete